To Think, To Inspire

To Think, To Inspire

Wednesday 2 September 2015

LinkedIn Scam

LinkedIn is known as a platform for professionals to interact, however there appears to have some scam cases happen around. I would share one that happened to me this morning.

I first started LinkedIn few months ago as a preparation for job hunting, to find inspiration from my connections. There is an advice from LinkedIn to only accept invitation from members you know. So, I started off with connections I know like schoolmates, ex-colleagues, and a few whom I have met during activities or interviews.


Things were pretty plain until this morning when a member with profile name as Annemarie Durbin (FAKE ONE) sent me an invitation. She is one with a highly professional background if you would refer to other sources like news and Bloomberg rather than her LinkedIn summary only. Thinking that it'll be okay if I accept just this one and only stranger-invitation after I have viewed through her summary and background. No sooner after that she sent a message to me regarding a lucratic business proposal for me. Lucratic, there is no such word in dictionary and doesn't matter if it spelled lucrative or lucratic, it's lucky that I just don't know what it means with my limited English vocabulary. Yet, I know what lunatic means.

I felt strange with her message, and her not-so-email email address annemariedurbin38@qq&shy.com, I wonder what makes a professional from UK London to link her magnificent business proposal/ idea so suddenly to a nobody like me. Minutes later, her connection and message just disappeared like it never happen before. I traced back to no clues at all.

Some bloggers give constructive suggestions to prevent your LinkedIn profile from fraud like changing password from time to time and etc ( can Google search for more ideas). If you feel that your account is being hacked and your profile is used for bad purposes, you can choose to close and delete your account.





Sourced from http://thelinkedinman.com/2013/12/05/how-to-close-and-delete-your-linkedin-account/

Once you are logged in simply:-
  1. Go to the top right hand corner, put the mouse over the tiny picture of you, or the white box with the grey outline of you if you don’t have a photo on LinkedIn.
  2. Go down to privacy and settings and left click.
  3. Re-enter your password if asked.Then click on the account tab on the left (see picture below).
  4. Then click close your account, as indicated beside the large arrow.
  5. Confirm that you want to leave the biggest live database and networking session used by over 2/3 of the globes business professionals and then heh presto your account is deleted.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment